Foreign Exchange Guide to Iraq
The domestic currency in Iraq is the Iraqi dinar with currency code IQD. Read this foreign exchange guide to Iraq and the Iraqi dinar with money transfer and travel tips plus Iraqi dinar exchange cross rates.
In this guide we review :
- Iraqi dinar info - general info about the Iraqi dinar
- Iraqi dinar in the markets - recent IQD moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Iraq - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Iraqi dinar cash online - travel money for Iraq
- Sending money to Iraq - save on Iraqi dinar bank transfers to Iraq
- Iraqi dinar exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Iraqi dinar (IQD) general currency information
What is the Iraqi dinar currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Iraqi dinar is IQD and the symbol is ع.د.
Which countries use the Iraqi dinar?
It is the domestic currency in Iraq.
Iraqi dinar (IQD) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the IQD to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Iraq Trip Checklist
- Compare IQD travel cash rates - probably why you are here!
- Search Hotel deals - Save on your accomodation in Iraq
- Lonely Planet - world's best travel guide (coupon and deals)
Travel money for Iraq
Save money and time by Ordering your Iraqi dinar online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the IQD cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Iraqi dinar otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Iraq
Sending money to Iraq
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Iraq you need to start with finding out the latest Iraqi dinar foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Getting a better deal when sending money to Iraq
When sending money to Iraq it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Iraqi dinar amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted IQD amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Iraq.
Use our Send to IQD calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Iraqi dinar deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!