Foreign Exchange Guide to Jamaica
The domestic currency in Jamaica is the Jamaican dollar with currency code JMD. Read this foreign exchange guide to Jamaica and the Jamaican dollar with money transfer and travel tips plus Jamaican dollar exchange cross rates.
In this guide we review :
- Jamaican dollar info - general info about the Jamaican dollar
- Jamaican dollar in the markets - recent JMD moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Jamaica - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Jamaican dollar cash online - travel money for Jamaica
- Sending money to Jamaica - save on Jamaican dollar bank transfers to Jamaica
- Jamaican dollar exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Jamaican dollar (JMD) general currency information
What is the Jamaican dollar currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Jamaican dollar is JMD and the symbol is J$.
Which countries use the Jamaican dollar?
It is the domestic currency in Jamaica.
Jamaican dollar (JMD) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the JMD to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Jamaica Trip Checklist
- Compare JMD travel cash rates - probably why you are here!
- Search Hotel deals - Save on your accomodation in Jamaica
- Lonely Planet - world's best travel guide (coupon and deals)
Travel money for Jamaica
Save money and time by Ordering your Jamaican dollar online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the JMD cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Jamaican dollar otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Jamaica
Sending money to Jamaica
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Jamaica you need to start with finding out the latest Jamaican dollar foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Getting a better deal when sending money to Jamaica
When sending money to Jamaica it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Jamaican dollar amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted JMD amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Jamaica.
Use our Send to JMD calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Jamaican dollar deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!