Foreign Exchange Guide to Kenya
In this guide we review :
- Kenyan shilling info - general info about the Kenyan shilling
- Kenyan shilling in the markets - recent KES moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Buying Kenyan shilling cash online - travel money for Kenya
- Sending money to Kenya - save on Kenyan shilling bank transfers to Kenya
- Kenyan shilling exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Kenyan shilling (KES) general currency information
What is the Kenyan shilling currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Kenyan shilling is KES and the symbol is KSh.
Which countries use the Kenyan shilling?
It is the domestic currency in Kenya.
Kenyan shilling (KES) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the KES to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Kenya Trip Checklist
- Compare KES travel cash rates - probably why you are here!
- Search Hotel deals - Save on your accomodation in Kenya
- Lonely Planet - world's best travel guide (coupon and deals)
Travel money for Kenya
Save money and time by Ordering your Kenyan shilling online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the KES cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Kenyan shilling otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Kenya
Sending money to Kenya
When sending money to Kenya it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Kenyan shilling amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted KES amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Kenya.
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Kenyan shilling deposited into the recipient bank account in Kenya and less margins and fees kept by the banks!