Foreign Exchange Guide to Kyrgyzstan
The domestic currency in Kyrgyzstan is the Kyrgystani som with currency code KGS. Read this foreign exchange guide to Kyrgyzstan and the Kyrgystani som with money transfer and travel tips plus Kyrgystani som exchange cross rates.
In this guide we review :
- Kyrgystani som info - general info about the Kyrgystani som
- Kyrgystani som in the markets - recent KGS moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Kyrgyzstan - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Kyrgystani som cash online - travel money for Kyrgyzstan
- Sending money to Kyrgyzstan - save on Kyrgystani som bank transfers to Kyrgyzstan
- Kyrgystani som exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Kyrgystani som (KGS) general currency information
What is the Kyrgystani som currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Kyrgystani som is KGS and the symbol is лв.
Which countries use the Kyrgystani som?
It is the domestic currency in Kyrgyzstan.
Kyrgystani som (KGS) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the KGS to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Kyrgyzstan Trip Checklist
- Compare KGS travel cash rates - probably why you are here!
- Search Hotel deals - Save on your accomodation in Kyrgyzstan
- Lonely Planet - world's best travel guide (coupon and deals)
Travel money for Kyrgyzstan
Save money and time by Ordering your Kyrgystani som online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the KGS cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Kyrgystani som otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Kyrgyzstan
Sending money to Kyrgyzstan
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Kyrgyzstan you need to start with finding out the latest Kyrgystani som foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Getting a better deal when sending money to Kyrgyzstan
When sending money to Kyrgyzstan it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Kyrgystani som amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted KGS amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Kyrgyzstan.
Use our Send to KGS calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Kyrgystani som deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!