Foreign Exchange Guide to Latvia
In this guide we review :
- Latvian lats info - general info about the Latvian lats
- Latvian lats in the markets - recent LVL moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Buying Latvian lats cash online - travel money for Latvia
- Sending money to Latvia - save on Latvian lats bank transfers to Latvia
- Latvian lats exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Latvian lats (LVL) general currency information
What is the Latvian lats currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Latvian lats is LVL and the symbol is Ls.
Which countries use the Latvian lats?
It is the domestic currency in Latvia.
Latvian lats (LVL) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the LVL to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Latvia Trip Checklist
- Compare LVL travel cash rates - probably why you are here!
- Search Hotel deals - Save on your accomodation in Latvia
- Lonely Planet - world's best travel guide (coupon and deals)
Travel money for Latvia
Save money and time by Ordering your Latvian lats online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the LVL cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Latvian lats otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Latvia
Sending money to Latvia
The past decade has been a turbulent period for the Latvian economy. From acquiring double digit growth figures before 2008, the country has first experienced a double digit drop in GDP before rebounding to a healthier economy and more focus on socioeconomic challenges.
When sending money to Latvia it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Latvian lats amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted LVL amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Latvia.
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Latvian lats deposited into the recipient bank account in Latvia and less margins and fees kept by the banks!