This is a foreign exchange guide to Libya, the Libyan Dinar currency plus sending LYD transfers and travel tips.
In this Libya currency guide we take a look at :
- Libyan Dinar info - general info about the Libyan Dinar
- Libyan Dinar in the markets - recent LYD moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Libya - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Libyan Dinar cash online - travel money for Libya
- Sending money to Libya - save on Libyan Dinar bank transfers to Libya
- Libyan Dinar exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Libyan Dinar (LYD) general currency information
What is the Libyan Dinar currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Libyan Dinar is LYD and the symbol is ل.د.
Is the Libyan Dinar a closed currency?
Yes the Libyan Dinar is a closed currency. Which means that you may find it difficult to purchase the currency (LYD) before departure and will probably need to buy it upon arrival. If you do manage to buy some of the currency or have some left over from a previous trip, make sure you are aware if you are allowed to bring this closed currency into the country.
For more information and a full list of closed currencies please refer to our guide: What is a closed currency?
Which countries use the Libyan Dinar?
It is the domestic currency in Libya.
Libyan Dinar (LYD) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the USD to LYD exchange rate and trend for the previous 3 months:
Travel, Currency and Money saving tips for Libya
Travel money for Libya
As mentioned above, the Libyan Dinar is a closed currency. Which means that you may find it difficult (or be permitted) to purchase the currency (LYD) before departure and will need to buy it upon arrival in Libya.
For these types of destinations, using a pre-paid travel card is a good solution. As no travel cards support loading closed currencies like the LYD you will incur currency conversion or foreign transaction fees if you use a travel money card in Libya.
However, using a pre-paid travel card is still a good idea as you can avoid ATM fees and also you can avoid using (and losing!) your main bank or debit/credit card.
Libya Trip Checklist
Sending money to Libya
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Libya you need to start with finding out the latest Libyan Dinar foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Get a better deal for foreign transfers to Libya
When sending money to Libya it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Libyan Dinar amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted LYD amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Libya.
Use our Send to LYD calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Libyan Dinar deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!