Foreign Exchange Guide to Macau
In this guide we review :
- Macanese pataca info - general info about the Macanese pataca
- Macanese pataca in the markets - recent MOP moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Buying Macanese pataca cash online - travel money for Macau
- Sending money to Macau - save on Macanese pataca bank transfers to Macau
- Macanese pataca exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Macanese pataca (MOP) general currency information
What is the Macanese pataca currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Macanese pataca is MOP and the symbol is $.
Which countries use the Macanese pataca?
It is the domestic currency in Macau.
Macanese pataca (MOP) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the MOP to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Macau Trip Checklist
- Compare MOP travel cash rates - probably why you are here!
- Search Hotel deals - Save on your accomodation in Macau
- Lonely Planet - world's best travel guide (coupon and deals)
Travel money for Macau
Save money and time by Ordering your Macanese pataca online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the MOP cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Macanese pataca otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Macau
Sending money to Macau
When sending money to Macau it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Macanese pataca amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted MOP amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Macau.
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Macanese pataca deposited into the recipient bank account in Macau and less margins and fees kept by the banks!