This is a foreign exchange guide to Macau, the Macanese Pataca currency plus sending MOP transfers and travel tips.
In this Macau currency guide we take a look at :
- Macanese Pataca info - general info about the Macanese Pataca
- Macanese Pataca in the markets - recent MOP moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Macau - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Macanese Pataca cash online - travel money for Macau
- Sending money to Macau - save on Macanese Pataca bank transfers to Macau
- Macanese Pataca exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Macanese Pataca (MOP) general currency information
What is the Macanese Pataca currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Macanese Pataca is MOP and the symbol is M$.
Which countries use the Macanese Pataca?
It is the domestic currency in Macau.
Macanese Pataca (MOP) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the HKD to MOP exchange rate and trend for the previous 3 months:
Travel, Currency and Money saving tips for Macau
Travel money for Macau
Save money and time by Ordering your Macanese Pataca online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the MOP cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Macanese Pataca otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Macau Trip Checklist
Sending money to Macau
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Macau you need to start with finding out the latest Macanese Pataca foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Get a better deal for foreign transfers to Macau
When sending money to Macau it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Macanese Pataca amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted MOP amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Macau.
Use our Send to MOP calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Macanese Pataca deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!