Foreign Exchange Guide to Macedonia
The domestic currency in Macedonia is the Macedonian denar with currency code MKD. Read this foreign exchange guide to Macedonia and the Macedonian denar with money transfer and travel tips plus Macedonian denar exchange cross rates.
In this guide we review :
- Macedonian denar info - general info about the Macedonian denar
- Macedonian denar in the markets - recent MKD moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Macedonia - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Macedonian denar cash online - travel money for Macedonia
- Sending money to Macedonia - save on Macedonian denar bank transfers to Macedonia
- Macedonian denar exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Macedonian denar (MKD) general currency information
What is the Macedonian denar currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Macedonian denar is MKD and the symbol is ден.
Which countries use the Macedonian denar?
It is the domestic currency in Macedonia.
Macedonian denar (MKD) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the MKD to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Macedonia Trip Checklist
- Compare MKD travel cash rates - probably why you are here!
- Search Hotel deals - Save on your accomodation in Macedonia
- Lonely Planet - world's best travel guide (coupon and deals)
Travel money for Macedonia
Save money and time by Ordering your Macedonian denar online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the MKD cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Macedonian denar otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Macedonia
Sending money to Macedonia
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Macedonia you need to start with finding out the latest Macedonian denar foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Getting a better deal when sending money to Macedonia
When sending money to Macedonia it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Macedonian denar amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted MKD amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Macedonia.
Use our Send to MKD calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Macedonian denar deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!