Foreign Exchange Guide to Malawi
The domestic currency in Malawi is the Malawian kwacha with currency code MWK. Read this foreign exchange guide to Malawi and the Malawian kwacha with money transfer and travel tips plus Malawian kwacha exchange cross rates.
In this guide we review :
- Malawian kwacha info - general info about the Malawian kwacha
- Malawian kwacha in the markets - recent MWK moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Malawi - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Malawian kwacha cash online - travel money for Malawi
- Sending money to Malawi - save on Malawian kwacha bank transfers to Malawi
- Malawian kwacha exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Malawian kwacha (MWK) general currency information
What is the Malawian kwacha currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Malawian kwacha is MWK and the symbol is MK.
Which countries use the Malawian kwacha?
It is the domestic currency in Malawi.
Malawian kwacha (MWK) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the MWK to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Malawi Trip Checklist
- Compare MWK travel cash rates - probably why you are here!
- Search Hotel deals - Save on your accomodation in Malawi
- Lonely Planet - world's best travel guide (coupon and deals)
Travel money for Malawi
Save money and time by Ordering your Malawian kwacha online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the MWK cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Malawian kwacha otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Malawi
Sending money to Malawi
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Malawi you need to start with finding out the latest Malawian kwacha foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Getting a better deal when sending money to Malawi
When sending money to Malawi it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Malawian kwacha amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted MWK amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Malawi.
Use our Send to MWK calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Malawian kwacha deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!