This is a foreign exchange guide to Mali, the West African Franc currency plus sending XOF transfers and travel tips.
In this Mali currency guide we take a look at :
- West African Franc info - general info about the West African Franc
- West African Franc in the markets - recent XOF moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Mali - currency & money saving tips
- Buying West African Franc cash online - travel money for Mali
- Sending money to Mali - save on West African Franc bank transfers to Mali
- West African Franc exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
West African Franc (XOF) general currency information
What is the West African Franc currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the West African Franc is XOF.
Which countries use the West African Franc?
West African Franc (XOF) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the USD to XOF exchange rate and trend for the previous 3 months:
Travel, Currency and Money saving tips for Mali
Travel money for Mali
Save money and time by Ordering your West African Franc online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the XOF cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in West African Franc otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Mali Trip Checklist
Sending money to Mali
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Mali you need to start with finding out the latest West African Franc foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Get a better deal for foreign transfers to Mali
When sending money to Mali it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or West African Franc amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted XOF amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Mali.
Use our Send to XOF calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more West African Franc deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!