Foreign Exchange Guide to Mauritania
The domestic currency in Mauritania is the Mauritanian ouguiya with currency code MRO. Read this foreign exchange guide to Mauritania and the Mauritanian ouguiya with money transfer and travel tips plus Mauritanian ouguiya exchange cross rates.
In this guide we review :
- Mauritanian ouguiya info - general info about the Mauritanian ouguiya
- Mauritanian ouguiya in the markets - recent MRO moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Mauritania - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Mauritanian ouguiya cash online - travel money for Mauritania
- Sending money to Mauritania - save on Mauritanian ouguiya bank transfers to Mauritania
- Mauritanian ouguiya exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Mauritanian ouguiya (MRO) general currency information
What is the Mauritanian ouguiya currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Mauritanian ouguiya is MRO and the symbol is UM.
Which countries use the Mauritanian ouguiya?
It is the domestic currency in Mauritania.
Mauritanian ouguiya (MRO) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the MRO to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Mauritania Trip Checklist
- Compare MRO travel cash rates - probably why you are here!
- Search Hotel deals - Save on your accomodation in Mauritania
- Lonely Planet - world's best travel guide (coupon and deals)
Travel money for Mauritania
Save money and time by Ordering your Mauritanian ouguiya online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the MRO cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Mauritanian ouguiya otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Mauritania
Sending money to Mauritania
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Mauritania you need to start with finding out the latest Mauritanian ouguiya foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Getting a better deal when sending money to Mauritania
When sending money to Mauritania it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Mauritanian ouguiya amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted MRO amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Mauritania.
Use our Send to MRO calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Mauritanian ouguiya deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!