Foreign Exchange Guide to Mauritius
In this guide we review :
- Mauritian rupee info - general info about the Mauritian rupee
- Mauritian rupee in the markets - recent MUR moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Buying Mauritian rupee cash online - travel money for Mauritius
- Sending money to Mauritius - save on Mauritian rupee bank transfers to Mauritius
- Mauritian rupee exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Mauritian rupee (MUR) general currency information
What is the Mauritian rupee currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Mauritian rupee is MUR and the symbol is ₨.
Which countries use the Mauritian rupee?
It is the domestic currency in Mauritius.
Mauritian rupee (MUR) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the MUR to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Mauritius Trip Checklist
- Compare MUR travel cash rates - probably why you are here!
- Search Hotel deals - Save on your accomodation in Mauritius
- Lonely Planet - world's best travel guide (coupon and deals)
Travel money for Mauritius
Save money and time by Ordering your Mauritian rupee online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the MUR cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Mauritian rupee otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Mauritius
Sending money to Mauritius
When sending money to Mauritius it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Mauritian rupee amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted MUR amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Mauritius.
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Mauritian rupee deposited into the recipient bank account in Mauritius and less margins and fees kept by the banks!