This is a foreign exchange guide to Mauritius, the Mauritian Rupee currency plus sending MUR transfers and travel tips.
In this Mauritius currency guide we take a look at :
- Mauritian Rupee info - general info about the Mauritian Rupee
- Mauritian Rupee in the markets - recent MUR moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Mauritius - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Mauritian Rupee cash online - travel money for Mauritius
- Sending money to Mauritius - save on Mauritian Rupee bank transfers to Mauritius
- Mauritian Rupee exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Mauritian Rupee (MUR) general currency information
What is the Mauritian Rupee currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Mauritian Rupee is MUR and the symbol is ₨.
Which countries use the Mauritian Rupee?
It is the domestic currency in Mauritius.
Mauritian Rupee (MUR) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the HKD to MUR exchange rate and trend for the previous 3 months:
Travel, Currency and Money saving tips for Mauritius
Travel money for Mauritius
Save money and time by Ordering your Mauritian Rupee online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the MUR cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Mauritian Rupee otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Mauritius Trip Checklist
Sending money to Mauritius
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Mauritius you need to start with finding out the latest Mauritian Rupee foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Get a better deal for foreign transfers to Mauritius
When sending money to Mauritius it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Mauritian Rupee amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted MUR amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Mauritius.
Use our Send to MUR calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Mauritian Rupee deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!