Foreign Exchange Guide to Namibia
In this guide we review :
- Namibian dollar info - general info about the Namibian dollar
- Namibian dollar in the markets - recent NAD moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Buying Namibian dollar cash online - travel money for Namibia
- Sending money to Namibia - save on Namibian dollar bank transfers to Namibia
- Namibian dollar exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Namibian dollar (NAD) general currency information
What is the Namibian dollar currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Namibian dollar is NAD and the symbol is $.
Which countries use the Namibian dollar?
It is the domestic currency in Namibia.
Namibian dollar (NAD) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the NAD to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Namibia Trip Checklist
- Compare NAD travel cash rates - probably why you are here!
- Search Hotel deals - Save on your accomodation in Namibia
- Lonely Planet - world's best travel guide (coupon and deals)
Travel money for Namibia
Save money and time by Ordering your Namibian dollar online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the NAD cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Namibian dollar otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Namibia
Sending money to Namibia
When sending money to Namibia it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Namibian dollar amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted NAD amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Namibia.
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Namibian dollar deposited into the recipient bank account in Namibia and less margins and fees kept by the banks!