Foreign Exchange Guide to North Korea
The domestic currency in North Korea is the North Korean won with currency code KPW. Read this foreign exchange guide to North Korea and the North Korean won with money transfer and travel tips plus North Korean won exchange cross rates.
In this guide we review :
- North Korean won info - general info about the North Korean won
- North Korean won in the markets - recent KPW moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in North Korea - currency & money saving tips
- Buying North Korean won cash online - travel money for North Korea
- Sending money to North Korea - save on North Korean won bank transfers to North Korea
- North Korean won exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
North Korean won (KPW) general currency information
What is the North Korean won currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the North Korean won is KPW and the symbol is ₩.
Which countries use the North Korean won?
It is the domestic currency in North Korea.
North Korean won (KPW) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the KPW to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
North Korea Trip Checklist
- Compare KPW travel cash rates - probably why you are here!
- Lonely Planet - world's best travel guide (coupon and deals)
Travel money for North Korea
Save money and time by Ordering your North Korean won online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the KPW cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in North Korean won otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for North Korea
Sending money to North Korea
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to North Korea you need to start with finding out the latest North Korean won foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Getting a better deal when sending money to North Korea
When sending money to North Korea it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or North Korean won amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted KPW amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in North Korea.
Use our Send to KPW calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more North Korean won deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!