This is a foreign exchange guide to Oman, the Omani Rial currency plus sending OMR transfers and travel tips.
In this Oman currency guide we take a look at :
- Omani Rial info - general info about the Omani Rial
- Omani Rial in the markets - recent OMR moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Oman - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Omani Rial cash online - travel money for Oman
- Sending money to Oman - save on Omani Rial bank transfers to Oman
- Omani Rial exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Omani Rial (OMR) general currency information
What is the Omani Rial currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Omani Rial is OMR and the symbol is ﷼.
Which countries use the Omani Rial?
It is the domestic currency in Oman.
Omani Rial (OMR) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the HKD to OMR exchange rate and trend for the previous 3 months:
Travel, Currency and Money saving tips for Oman
Travel money for Oman
Save money and time by Ordering your Omani Rial online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the OMR cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Omani Rial otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Oman Trip Checklist
Sending money to Oman
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Oman you need to start with finding out the latest Omani Rial foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Get a better deal for foreign transfers to Oman
When sending money to Oman it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Omani Rial amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted OMR amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Oman.
Use our Send to OMR calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Omani Rial deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!