Foreign Exchange Guide to Pakistan
In this guide we review :
- Pakistani rupee info - general info about the Pakistani rupee
- Pakistani rupee in the markets - recent PKR moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Pakistan - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Pakistani rupee cash online - travel money for Pakistan
- Sending money to Pakistan - save on Pakistani rupee bank transfers to Pakistan
- Pakistani rupee exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Pakistani rupee (PKR) general currency information
What is the Pakistani rupee currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Pakistani rupee is PKR and the symbol is ₨.
Which countries use the Pakistani rupee?
It is the domestic currency in Pakistan.
Pakistani rupee (PKR) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the PKR to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Currency and money saving tips for Pakistan
Pakistan is often avoided due to political instability. The official currency of Pakistan is the Pakistani Rupee (PKR). If you want to exchange currency within Pakistan US Dollars and Euros are usually mostly accepted. Airports have 24 hour exchange bureaus, and hotels will often exchange cash, both however will usually charge a 3% charge. Banks also offer rather poor rates, making using an ATM the quickest, cheapest and most convenient way to get hold of cash. ATM's will ony accept chip enabled cards, not ones with only a magnetic strip on the back.Always make sure you have the newer, undamaged notes, as otherwise they won’t be accepted.
ATM's are usually easily available all through Pakistan, however in country areas they are not always reliable. So if you intend to leave the cities be sure t have some cash in hand. In Pakistan, it is mostly expected to use cash so cards are widely unaccepted. Make a point of letting your bank know you are going to be travelling in Pakistan to avoid your card being blocked by your bank, due to card fraud being high in this region.
Public transport is not considered safe for foreigners, air travel is somewhat safer. A number of original forms of ID are required however, copies will not be accepted.
Pakistan Trip Checklist
- Compare PKR travel cash rates - probably why you are here!
- Search Hotel deals - Save on your accomodation in Pakistan
- Lonely Planet - world's best travel guide (coupon and deals)
Travel money for Pakistan
Save money and time by Ordering your Pakistani rupee online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the PKR cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Pakistani rupee otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money Exchange Rates Compared
Buying PKR Cash with USD 1,000
Fees: USD 0
Rate timestamp : Mon Apr 23 2018 18:00:03 GMT+0000 (UTC)
Fees: USD 10 (1%)
Sending money to Pakistan
When sending money to Pakistan it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Pakistani rupee amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted PKR amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Pakistan.
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Pakistani rupee deposited into the recipient bank account in Pakistan and less margins and fees kept by the banks!
Sending a LARGER international money transfer? Request a Free Multi-Vendor Quote
Compare Foreign Transfers
Sending USD 10,000 to PKR
Fees: USD 0
Rate timestamp : Mon Apr 23 2018 18:05:26 GMT+0000 (UTC)
Fees: USD 15