Foreign Exchange Guide to Peru
The domestic currency in Peru is the Peruvian Nuevo sol with currency code PEN. Read this foreign exchange guide to Peru and the Peruvian Nuevo sol with money transfer and travel tips plus Peruvian Nuevo sol exchange cross rates.
In this guide we review :
- Peruvian Nuevo sol info - general info about the Peruvian Nuevo sol
- Peruvian Nuevo sol in the markets - recent PEN moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Peru - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Peruvian Nuevo sol cash online - travel money for Peru
- Sending money to Peru - save on Peruvian Nuevo sol bank transfers to Peru
- Peruvian Nuevo sol exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Peruvian Nuevo sol (PEN) general currency information
What is the Peruvian Nuevo sol currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Peruvian Nuevo sol is PEN and the symbol is S/..
Which countries use the Peruvian Nuevo sol?
It is the domestic currency in Peru.
Peruvian Nuevo sol (PEN) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the PEN to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Peru Trip Checklist
- Compare PEN travel cash rates - probably why you are here!
- Search Hotel deals - Save on your accomodation in Peru
- Lonely Planet - world's best travel guide (coupon and deals)
Travel money for Peru
Save money and time by Ordering your Peruvian Nuevo sol online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the PEN cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Peruvian Nuevo sol otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Peru
Sending money to Peru
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Peru you need to start with finding out the latest Peruvian Nuevo sol foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Getting a better deal when sending money to Peru
When sending money to Peru it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Peruvian Nuevo sol amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted PEN amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Peru.
Use our Send to PEN calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Peruvian Nuevo sol deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!