This is a foreign exchange guide to Qatar, the Qatari Rial currency plus sending QAR transfers and travel tips.
In this Qatar currency guide we take a look at :
- Qatari Rial info - general info about the Qatari Rial
- Qatari Rial in the markets - recent QAR moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Qatar - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Qatari Rial cash online - travel money for Qatar
- Sending money to Qatar - save on Qatari Rial bank transfers to Qatar
- Qatari Rial exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Qatari Rial (QAR) general currency information
What is the Qatari Rial currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Qatari Rial is QAR and the symbol is ﷼.
Which countries use the Qatari Rial?
It is the domestic currency in Qatar.
Qatari Rial (QAR) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the HKD to QAR exchange rate and trend for the previous 3 months:
Travel, Currency and Money saving tips for Qatar
Travel money for Qatar
Save money and time by Ordering your Qatari Rial online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the QAR cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Qatari Rial otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Qatar Trip Checklist
Sending money to Qatar
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Qatar you need to start with finding out the latest Qatari Rial foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
The Qatari riyal (QAR) is fully convertible, and Qatar does not restrict overseas transfers of funds from capital gains, interest, dividends, royalties or management fees. The Qatari riyal has been pegged to the US dollar (USD) at a rate of QR3.64 per US$1 since 1980.
Get a better deal for foreign transfers to Qatar
When sending money to Qatar it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Qatari Rial amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted QAR amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Qatar.
Use our Send to QAR calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Qatari Rial deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!