This is a foreign exchange guide to Rwanda, the Rwandan Franc currency plus sending RWF transfers and travel tips.
In this Rwanda currency guide we take a look at :
- Rwandan Franc info - general info about the Rwandan Franc
- Rwandan Franc in the markets - recent RWF moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Rwanda - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Rwandan Franc cash online - travel money for Rwanda
- Sending money to Rwanda - save on Rwandan Franc bank transfers to Rwanda
- Rwandan Franc exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Rwandan Franc (RWF) general currency information
What is the Rwandan Franc currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Rwandan Franc is RWF and the symbol is ر.س.
Which countries use the Rwandan Franc?
It is the domestic currency in Rwanda.
Rwandan Franc (RWF) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the USD to RWF exchange rate and trend for the previous 3 months:
Travel, Currency and Money saving tips for Rwanda
Travel money for Rwanda
Save money and time by Ordering your Rwandan Franc online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the RWF cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Rwandan Franc otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Rwanda Trip Checklist
Sending money to Rwanda
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Rwanda you need to start with finding out the latest Rwandan Franc foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Get a better deal for foreign transfers to Rwanda
When sending money to Rwanda it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Rwandan Franc amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted RWF amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Rwanda.
Use our Send to RWF calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Rwandan Franc deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!