Foreign Exchange Guide to Saint Helena
The domestic currency in Saint Helena is the Saint Helena pound with currency code SHP. Read this foreign exchange guide to Saint Helena and the Saint Helena pound with money transfer and travel tips plus Saint Helena pound exchange cross rates.
In this guide we review :
- Saint Helena pound info - general info about the Saint Helena pound
- Saint Helena pound in the markets - recent SHP moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Saint Helena - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Saint Helena pound cash online - travel money for Saint Helena
- Sending money to Saint Helena - save on Saint Helena pound bank transfers to Saint Helena
- Saint Helena pound exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Saint Helena pound (SHP) general currency information
What is the Saint Helena pound currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Saint Helena pound is SHP and the symbol is £.
Which countries use the Saint Helena pound?
It is the domestic currency in Saint Helena.
Saint Helena pound (SHP) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the SHP to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Saint Helena Trip Checklist
- Compare SHP travel cash rates - probably why you are here!
- Lonely Planet - world's best travel guide (coupon and deals)
Travel money for Saint Helena
Save money and time by Ordering your Saint Helena pound online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the SHP cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Saint Helena pound otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Saint Helena
Sending money to Saint Helena
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Saint Helena you need to start with finding out the latest Saint Helena pound foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Getting a better deal when sending money to Saint Helena
When sending money to Saint Helena it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Saint Helena pound amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted SHP amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Saint Helena.
Use our Send to SHP calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Saint Helena pound deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!