This is a foreign exchange guide to Sierra Leone, the Sierra Leonean Leone currency plus sending SLL transfers and travel tips.
In this Sierra Leone currency guide we take a look at :
- Sierra Leonean Leone info - general info about the Sierra Leonean Leone
- Sierra Leonean Leone in the markets - recent SLL moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Sierra Leone - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Sierra Leonean Leone cash online - travel money for Sierra Leone
- Sending money to Sierra Leone - save on Sierra Leonean Leone bank transfers to Sierra Leone
- Sierra Leonean Leone exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Sierra Leonean Leone (SLL) general currency information
What is the Sierra Leonean Leone currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Sierra Leonean Leone is SLL and the symbol is Le.
Which countries use the Sierra Leonean Leone?
It is the domestic currency in Sierra Leone.
Sierra Leonean Leone (SLL) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the HKD to SLL exchange rate and trend for the previous 3 months:
Travel, Currency and Money saving tips for Sierra Leone
Sierra Leone is a country in West Africa, on the Atlantic Ocean. It’s known for the white-sand beaches lining the Freetown Peninsula. The capital city, Freetown, commemorates the nation’s slave-trade history with the Cotton Tree landmark and King’s Yard Gate. Both were known as places of refuge for returned slaves in the 18th and 19th centuries. Nearby Bunce Island was a key departure point during the slave trade.
Travel money for Sierra Leone
Save money and time by Ordering your Sierra Leonean Leone online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the SLL cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Sierra Leonean Leone otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Sierra Leone Trip Checklist
Sending money to Sierra Leone
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Sierra Leone you need to start with finding out the latest Sierra Leonean Leone foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Get a better deal for foreign transfers to Sierra Leone
When sending money to Sierra Leone it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Sierra Leonean Leone amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted SLL amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Sierra Leone.
Use our Send to SLL calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Sierra Leonean Leone deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!