Foreign Exchange Guide to Somalia
The domestic currency in Somalia is the Somali shilling with currency code SOS. Read this foreign exchange guide to Somalia and the Somali shilling with money transfer and travel tips plus Somali shilling exchange cross rates.
In this guide we review :
- Somali shilling info - general info about the Somali shilling
- Somali shilling in the markets - recent SOS moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Somalia - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Somali shilling cash online - travel money for Somalia
- Sending money to Somalia - save on Somali shilling bank transfers to Somalia
- Somali shilling exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Somali shilling (SOS) general currency information
What is the Somali shilling currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Somali shilling is SOS and the symbol is S.
Which countries use the Somali shilling?
It is the domestic currency in Somalia.
Somali shilling (SOS) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the SOS to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Somalia Trip Checklist
- Compare SOS travel cash rates - probably why you are here!
- Lonely Planet - world's best travel guide (coupon and deals)
Travel money for Somalia
Save money and time by Ordering your Somali shilling online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the SOS cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Somali shilling otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Somalia
Sending money to Somalia
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Somalia you need to start with finding out the latest Somali shilling foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Getting a better deal when sending money to Somalia
When sending money to Somalia it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Somali shilling amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted SOS amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Somalia.
Use our Send to SOS calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Somali shilling deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!