Foreign Exchange Guide to Sudan
The domestic currency in Sudan is the Sudanese pound with currency code SDG. Read this foreign exchange guide to Sudan and the Sudanese pound with money transfer and travel tips plus Sudanese pound exchange cross rates.
In this guide we review :
- Sudanese pound info - general info about the Sudanese pound
- Sudanese pound in the markets - recent SDG moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Sudan - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Sudanese pound cash online - travel money for Sudan
- Sending money to Sudan - save on Sudanese pound bank transfers to Sudan
- Sudanese pound exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Sudanese pound (SDG) general currency information
What is the Sudanese pound currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Sudanese pound is SDG and the symbol is £.
Which countries use the Sudanese pound?
It is the domestic currency in Sudan.
Sudanese pound (SDG) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the SDG to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Sudan Trip Checklist
- Compare SDG travel cash rates - probably why you are here!
- Search Hotel deals - Save on your accomodation in Sudan
- Lonely Planet - world's best travel guide (coupon and deals)
Travel money for Sudan
Save money and time by Ordering your Sudanese pound online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the SDG cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Sudanese pound otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Sudan
Sending money to Sudan
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Sudan you need to start with finding out the latest Sudanese pound foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Getting a better deal when sending money to Sudan
When sending money to Sudan it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Sudanese pound amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted SDG amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Sudan.
Use our Send to SDG calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Sudanese pound deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!