Foreign Exchange Guide to Syria
The domestic currency in Syria is the Syrian pound with currency code SYP. Read this foreign exchange guide to Syria and the Syrian pound with money transfer and travel tips plus Syrian pound exchange cross rates.
In this guide we review :
- Syrian pound info - general info about the Syrian pound
- Syrian pound in the markets - recent SYP moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Syria - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Syrian pound cash online - travel money for Syria
- Sending money to Syria - save on Syrian pound bank transfers to Syria
- Syrian pound exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Syrian pound (SYP) general currency information
What is the Syrian pound currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Syrian pound is SYP and the symbol is £.
Which countries use the Syrian pound?
It is the domestic currency in Syria.
Syrian pound (SYP) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the SYP to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Syria Trip Checklist
- Compare SYP travel cash rates - probably why you are here!
- Search Hotel deals - Save on your accomodation in Syria
- Lonely Planet - world's best travel guide (coupon and deals)
Travel money for Syria
Save money and time by Ordering your Syrian pound online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the SYP cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Syrian pound otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Syria
Sending money to Syria
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Syria you need to start with finding out the latest Syrian pound foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Getting a better deal when sending money to Syria
When sending money to Syria it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Syrian pound amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted SYP amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Syria.
Use our Send to SYP calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Syrian pound deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!