Foreign Exchange Guide to Uganda
The domestic currency in Uganda is the Ugandan shilling with currency code UGX. Read this foreign exchange guide to Uganda and the Ugandan shilling with money transfer and travel tips plus Ugandan shilling exchange cross rates.
In this guide we review :
- Ugandan shilling info - general info about the Ugandan shilling
- Ugandan shilling in the markets - recent UGX moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Uganda - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Ugandan shilling cash online - travel money for Uganda
- Sending money to Uganda - save on Ugandan shilling bank transfers to Uganda
- Ugandan shilling exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Ugandan shilling (UGX) general currency information
What is the Ugandan shilling currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Ugandan shilling is UGX and the symbol is USh.
Which countries use the Ugandan shilling?
It is the domestic currency in Uganda.
Ugandan shilling (UGX) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the UGX to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Uganda Trip Checklist
- Compare UGX travel cash rates - probably why you are here!
- Search Hotel deals - Save on your accomodation in Uganda
- Lonely Planet - world's best travel guide (coupon and deals)
Travel money for Uganda
Save money and time by Ordering your Ugandan shilling online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the UGX cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Ugandan shilling otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Uganda
Sending money to Uganda
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Uganda you need to start with finding out the latest Ugandan shilling foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Getting a better deal when sending money to Uganda
When sending money to Uganda it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Ugandan shilling amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted UGX amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Uganda.
Use our Send to UGX calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Ugandan shilling deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!