Foreign Exchange Guide to Ukraine
The domestic currency in Ukraine is the Ukrainian hryvnia with currency code UAH. Read this foreign exchange guide to Ukraine and the Ukrainian hryvnia with money transfer and travel tips plus Ukrainian hryvnia exchange cross rates.
In this guide we review :
- Ukrainian hryvnia info - general info about the Ukrainian hryvnia
- Ukrainian hryvnia in the markets - recent UAH moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Ukraine - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Ukrainian hryvnia cash online - travel money for Ukraine
- Sending money to Ukraine - save on Ukrainian hryvnia bank transfers to Ukraine
- Ukrainian hryvnia exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Ukrainian hryvnia (UAH) general currency information
What is the Ukrainian hryvnia currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Ukrainian hryvnia is UAH and the symbol is ₴.
Which countries use the Ukrainian hryvnia?
It is the domestic currency in Ukraine.
Ukrainian hryvnia (UAH) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the UAH to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Ukraine Trip Checklist
- Compare UAH travel cash rates - probably why you are here!
- Search Hotel deals - Save on your accomodation in Ukraine
- Lonely Planet - world's best travel guide (coupon and deals)
Travel money for Ukraine
Save money and time by Ordering your Ukrainian hryvnia online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the UAH cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Ukrainian hryvnia otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Ukraine
Sending money to Ukraine
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Ukraine you need to start with finding out the latest Ukrainian hryvnia foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Getting a better deal when sending money to Ukraine
When sending money to Ukraine it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Ukrainian hryvnia amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted UAH amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Ukraine.
Use our Send to UAH calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Ukrainian hryvnia deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!