Foreign Exchange Guide to Uruguay
The domestic currency in Uruguay is the Uruguayan peso with currency code UYU. Read this foreign exchange guide to Uruguay and the Uruguayan peso with money transfer and travel tips plus Uruguayan peso exchange cross rates.
In this guide we review :
- Uruguayan peso info - general info about the Uruguayan peso
- Uruguayan peso in the markets - recent UYU moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Uruguay - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Uruguayan peso cash online - travel money for Uruguay
- Sending money to Uruguay - save on Uruguayan peso bank transfers to Uruguay
- Uruguayan peso exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Uruguayan peso (UYU) general currency information
What is the Uruguayan peso currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Uruguayan peso is UYU and the symbol is $U.
Which countries use the Uruguayan peso?
It is the domestic currency in Uruguay.
Uruguayan peso (UYU) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the UYU to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Uruguay Trip Checklist
- Compare UYU travel cash rates - probably why you are here!
- Search Hotel deals - Save on your accomodation in Uruguay
- Lonely Planet - world's best travel guide (coupon and deals)
Travel money for Uruguay
Save money and time by Ordering your Uruguayan peso online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the UYU cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Uruguayan peso otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Uruguay
Sending money to Uruguay
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Uruguay you need to start with finding out the latest Uruguayan peso foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Getting a better deal when sending money to Uruguay
When sending money to Uruguay it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Uruguayan peso amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted UYU amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Uruguay.
Use our Send to UYU calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Uruguayan peso deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!