Foreign Exchange Guide to Western Sahara
In this guide we review :
- Moroccan Dirham info - general info about the Moroccan Dirham
- Moroccan Dirham in the markets - recent MAD moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Buying Moroccan Dirham cash online - travel money for Western Sahara
- Sending money to Western Sahara - save on Moroccan Dirham bank transfers to Western Sahara
- Moroccan Dirham exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Moroccan Dirham (MAD) general currency information
What is the Moroccan Dirham currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Moroccan Dirham is MAD and the symbol is د.م..
Which countries use the Moroccan Dirham?
Moroccan Dirham (MAD) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the MAD to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Western Sahara Trip Checklist
- Compare MAD travel cash rates - probably why you are here!
- Search Hotel deals - Save on your accomodation in Western Sahara
- Lonely Planet - world's best travel guide (coupon and deals)
Travel money for Western Sahara
Save money and time by Ordering your Moroccan Dirham online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the MAD cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Moroccan Dirham otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Western Sahara
Sending money to Western Sahara
When sending money to Western Sahara it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Moroccan Dirham amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted MAD amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Western Sahara.
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Moroccan Dirham deposited into the recipient bank account in Western Sahara and less margins and fees kept by the banks!