Foreign Exchange Guide to Yemen
The domestic currency in Yemen is the Yemeni rial with currency code YER. Read this foreign exchange guide to Yemen and the Yemeni rial with money transfer and travel tips plus Yemeni rial exchange cross rates.
In this guide we review :
- Yemeni rial info - general info about the Yemeni rial
- Yemeni rial in the markets - recent YER moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Yemen - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Yemeni rial cash online - travel money for Yemen
- Sending money to Yemen - save on Yemeni rial bank transfers to Yemen
- Yemeni rial exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Yemeni rial (YER) general currency information
What is the Yemeni rial currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Yemeni rial is YER and the symbol is ﷼.
Which countries use the Yemeni rial?
It is the domestic currency in Yemen.
Yemeni rial (YER) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the YER to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Yemen Trip Checklist
- Compare YER travel cash rates - probably why you are here!
- Search Hotel deals - Save on your accomodation in Yemen
- Lonely Planet - world's best travel guide (coupon and deals)
Travel money for Yemen
Save money and time by Ordering your Yemeni rial online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the YER cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Yemeni rial otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Yemen
Sending money to Yemen
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Yemen you need to start with finding out the latest Yemeni rial foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Getting a better deal when sending money to Yemen
When sending money to Yemen it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Yemeni rial amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted YER amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Yemen.
Use our Send to YER calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Yemeni rial deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!