Only admnistrator owned posts can execute the
[includeme] shortcode. This message is shown only to administrators.
How to Save on Currency Exchange and Travel Money
Best Exchange Rates makes it easy to compare retail FX rates from trusted, regulated currency exchange specialists to use when you Travel and Spend abroad.
We show you how to use a multi-currency card or order foreign cash online for better currency exchange rates, convenience and save money for your next trip or overseas online purchase.
Here are a few ways you can save on currency exchange when traveling overseas:
- Compare exchange rates: Shop around to get the best exchange rate. Compare rates from banks, currency exchange offices, and online providers to find the best deal.
- Use a credit card: Credit cards often offer favorable exchange rates, so using one to make purchases in Portugal can save you money. Just be sure to pay off the balance in full each month to avoid interest charges.
- Use a debit card: Debit cards linked to a foreign currency account can also offer good exchange rates. This can be a good option if you don’t have a credit card or don’t want to use one for your trip.
- Avoid exchanging currency at the airport: Currency exchange offices at airports often have lower exchange rates than other options. If possible, wait until you get to your destination to exchange currency.
- Consider using a travel money card: Travel money cards are prepaid cards that you can load with multiple currencies. They can be a convenient and cost-effective way to pay for things while traveling.
- Use ATMs: ATMs often offer competitive exchange rates, and you’ll usually only pay a small fee to your bank for using an ATM abroad. Just be aware of any fees your bank charges for foreign transactions.
- Pay in the local currency: Some merchants may offer to charge you in your home currency instead of the local currency. This is called “dynamic currency conversion.” While it may be convenient, it often results in a less favorable exchange rate for you. It’s usually better to pay in the local currency.